Banana Puri with Kala Chana gravy recipe, a perfect dish for holiday, occasions or festivals. Banana puri has a lavish flavor of banana and adding curd gives it a soft and bit tangy texture too. These puris are easy and very simple to make. Knead the dough with banana and curd puree same way we do with normal puri dough instead of water we have used banana puree.
I am serving this yummy puri with the authentic Punjabi Kala chana gravy. As it is been said that banana puri is Mangalore dish. So this dish is the best combination of Mangalore and Punjab 😀
Kala chana is a very famous dish from Punjab and making it spicy is the demand of this combination as banana puris a bit sweet in taste. So I tried an experiment combination of a Sweet bun and Spicy gravy. It is a complete package for lunch. It is heavy and full filing so you and your family can enjoy it during lunch on any occasions.
So ready to ride the experimental world of mine? Yes… then follow the very simple steps with wonderful pictures below and do comment how was the experience 😀
Also, try my lovely Banana Pancake dish Banana Pancake
SERVINGS: 5 – 6
TIME: TOTAL TIME: 1 hr
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
(For Banana Puri)
3 Ripe Banana
1 Cup Curd
Wheat flour (as per your daily quantity)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Oil for fry
(For Kala Chana Gravy)
2 cup boiled Kala Chana (Bengal gram whole)
3 tsp Ginger, Garlic, Green chili paste
1 cup Onion paste
3 – 4 Tomatoes
Turmeric powder (Haldi) 2 tsp
Coriander powder (Dhania) 2 tsp
Dry mango powder (Amchur) 2 tsp
2 tsp Chana masala
Coriander leaves chopped
Salt as per taste
- Take ripe banana, I have taken 3 banana’s. you can take as per taste.
2. Peel banana and cut them.
3. Take grinder jar put banana and 1 cup curd. You can take Curd as per your choice.
4. Grind and make a fine puree.
5. Take a big bowl add wheat flour and cumin seeds.
6. Make a well in the flour and pour the banana puree.
7. Now knead the dough as per the normal Puri we do.
8. As it is done coat the dough with some oil, cover it and keep it aside for few mins.
9. Now till our dough is in rest will make Kala chana gravy.
10. Soak Kala Chana overnight or at least 5 – 6 hrs.
11. Now boil the soaked Chana in cooker till they get’s soft.
12. Do not drain all water keep some for gravy.
13. Make ginger, garlic, green chili paste. you can also use market one.
14. Make onion paste. If you want you can use chopped onion but I am using paste to make a thick gravy.
15. Place kadhai adds mustard oil.
16. Add onion paste, ginger garlic, green chili paste.
17. On low flame cook them well till they get brown in color.
18. Now add some chopped coriander leaves.
19. Now some dry spices. coriander powder, turmeric powder, amchur powder, and salt.
20. Now medium the flame and cook the mixture well.
21. Chop 3 – 4 tomatoes, you can use tomato puree also.
22. As our onion masala is done will add tomato and higher the flame.
23. Mix them well on the higher flame and mash the tomato’s well.
24. Now lower the flame and cook till the mixture leaves oil from sides.
25. As its done will add the boiled chana with water.
26. Higher the flame and let it gets boiled and water gets thick.
27. Add some chopped coriander, mix them well.
28. Last will lower the gas and sprinkle Chana masala and do not mix it just off the flame and cover it.
29. Till chana masala gets to mix with chana, will make puris.
30. Heat oil for frying the puris.
31. Make small balls from the dough to make puris. Make sure balls size should be little small than the rotis.
32. With help of rolling pin roll the balls round shape.
33. Now check the oil is well hot to fry, fry a small piece of dough as it comes up well then fry the puris.
34. It will come up well and done from one side.
35. Flip it and cook on another side too.
36. Repeat same with rest dough.
37. Now its ready to serve. Serve it hot 🙂