Samak Kheer, Samak also known as Barnyard millet, Samvat rice. Samak is mostly been used during fasting and navratri is the festival for 9 days where people do fasting for complete 9 days. Its kind substitute of normal rice and semolina but they are not been used durinf fast/vrat.
Samak is very light but work well during vart and full filling for empty stomach. It can be made in very different forms. you can make kheer, upma, pulaao, khichadi anything.
Barnyard millet is very rich in high fiber, anti-oxidant and many more. Its good for diabetic patients and also helps in weight loss. So its not only useful for people who do vrat but its good for everyone. So you can make this kheer anytime and enjoy it. Its also easy and quick to make. Any surprise guest can be welcomed quickly with this yummy desert 😀
Do follow the wonderful recipe step by step with lovely pictures and enjoy fasting with your family 🙂
SERVINGS: 3 – 4
TIME: TOTAL TIME : 1 hr
PREP TIME: 1/2 hr
COOK TIME: 1/2 hr
3 cups Milk
1/3 Samak rice/ Barnyard millet
Almonds 7 – 8
Cashew 7 – 8
Raisins 20 – 25
Sugar 7 – 8 tbsp
Saffron water 1 tsp
- Take 1/3 samak / Barnyard millet and just give one look and make sure its clean.
2. Before soaking once’s take it out from clean water, soak it for about 1/2 hr and keep aside.
3. Also soak the dry fruits, so that they get soft and easy to cut.
4. Use any dry fruits you like.
5. Now heat 3 cups milk in heavy bottom pan or kadhai.
6. When milk get boiled and comes up lower the flame.
7. Now add the soaked samak into milk and mix them well.
8. Now higher the flame and keep stiring so that it do not get stick to bottom.
9. Slowly slowly you will see the consistency of milk will get thick. Mix them well and let samak get cooked well.
10. When you feel its done and samak is well cooked lower he flame.
11. Chop the soaked dry fruits. add dry fruits of your choice and if you want you can also roast them instead of soaking.
12. Add chopped dry fruits , also add sugar and mix them well.
13. Brown sugar can also be used if you want. Mix them well.
14. Cook till sugar gets melted and get mixed well.
15. When you feel the kheer consistency is as per your choice off the flame.
16. You can add more milk if you don’t want it much thick.
17. Off the flame, transfer the kheer into serving bowl.
18. Garnish it with saffron water and serve it hot or chilled.