Gatte ki sabji, very authentic marwadi dish. Its super delicious Rajasthani gravy sabji. Gatte basically gram flour / besan dumplings which is first steamed and then given lovely tadka.
Chickpeas flour are been boiled well and then fried which gives it crunchy flavour and and good consistency to gravy. For best gravy curd is been added. if you want can also make it without onion garlic too.
Its served mostly during special occasions. Serve them hot with rice, roti or bread. Do follow very simple steps below with the step to step pictures.
COURSE: Lunch / Dinner
TIME: TOTAL TIME : 1 hr
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
2 cups Besan / Chickpeas flour
Tomato 1 cup
Onion 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste 1 tsp
Curd 1 cup
Turmeric powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 2 tsp
Red chili powder 2 tsp
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp Oil
Salt as per taste
- First will take besan / chickpeas flour and will add 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, baking soda, 1 tsp cumin seeds and salt.
2. Now will mix the dry spices will and make a well in middle of besan / chickpeas flour and add oil into it.
3. Add only 1 – 1 1/2 tsp oil, now whisk the curd and add it into the flour.
4. Now with help of water will knead the dough and apply oil over the dough. Keep it aside for few mins to get set.
5. After few mins will take small amount of dough and apply little oil over the kitchen slap surface and with help of palm roll them in long sticks approx half inch thick.
6. Now till we make the roll side by side keep water for boiling.
7. When the sticks are ready will boil the sticks. one by one place the sticks in boiling water and on higher flame let them boil well.
8. Boil them on high flame till it get well cooked, after 10 – 15 mins with help of fork or pin give a check and if it comes clear its done.
9. Now off the flame and with help of spoon take the boiled gatte out of water. Make sure water should not be wasted.
10. Now with help of knife cut them into small sizes.
11. Now will bake or shallow fry the gattas to make them little crispy.
12. Fry them from both side till gets brown. you can also bake them or deep fry them.
13. Till our gatte’s are getting ready will make our gravy side by side.
14. Heat oil in kadhai, add cumin seeds (Jeera) as it gets brown will add onion and ginger garlic paste.
15. Saute them for few mins now add tomato and on high flame cook them well.
16. Now will add our dry spices red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt as per taste.
17. Mix them well, after few mins as the masala starts leaving oil will add curd, you can use any curd normal curd or hunk curd.
18. Let the curd and masala get well mixed, now add the crispy gatte into masala and mix well.
19. Now will add that water we boiled gatte in. add water as per your wish of gravy. you can now use left over water for making roti dough.
20. Let it get boiled well and let get masala mix well.
21. Now off the flame and serve hot with Roti, Bread or rice.