Vada Pav or Wada Pav the very famous n tasty street food of Maharashtra. Specialty of Mumbai meri jaan… Vada pav is the most common food you can get in mumbai or most places in Maharashtra.
Vada pav recipe seems to be difficult but trust me its so simple and easy to make. Vada pav recipe is so delicious and tasty and the addition red powder chutney makes it more authentic in taste. Its yummy snacks you can find mostly in all street stalls and even in school colleges.
Vada pav recipe is kind of potato mixture patties coated with gram flour with deep fry process. Usually street food is not taken as healthy food. Fried snacks is not taken as healthy one. but as Vada pav is fried and served hot so its not bad to have it. The ginger, garlic paste is the basic essence of best vada pav.
Vada pav can be had at any time, its goes best with tea or coffee. so do enjoy the super delicious vada pav dish followed by simple steps below 🙂
COURSE: Snacks / Breakfast
SERVINGS: 7 – 8
TIME: TOTAL TIME : 1 hr
PREP TIME: 30 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
For Vada :-
6 – 7 Boiled potatoes
1 bunch of Garlic cloves
1 inch Ginger
7 -8 Green chilies
1 tsp Mustard seeds
7 to 8 curry leaves/kadi patta
2 cups Gram flour/ Besan
2 tsp Coriander leaves
1 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For Red powder chutney :-
2 tsp red chili powder
4 – 5 Garlic clove
1 tsp garlic red chili powder/ Ghati masala (optional)
Salt to taste
- Boil 6 – 7 potatoes, peel and then mash them pretty well.
2. Peel garlic and ginger , make rough paste of ginger , garlic and green chilies.
3. Make sure you add green chilies as per your taste, as spicy you want.
4. Now combine the ginger paste and mashed potatoes.
5. Mix them well, make sure paste should be mixed properly.
6. Now heat a pan , add oil into it. then pop some mustard seeds as they crackle add curry leaves into it and off the flame.
7. Make sure you be little quick doing this, as mustard seeds should not burn and curry leaves should not over cooked.
8. Now add 1 tsp turmeric powder into oil mixture then pour the mixture into mashed potatoes and mix them well.
9. Now chop the coriander leaves and add them into potato mixture.
10. Now will make medium size balls of the potato mixture and keep them aside.
11. Now will make thick gram flour/besan paste. Mix besan with water add red chili powder and salt as per taste.
12. Mix the paste well, now heat oil in kadhayi for frying the vada.
13. Now as oil gets hot will fry the vada’s, dip the potato mixture balls into thick gram flour paste one by one.
14. Now put the dipped balls into kadhayi and fry the vada’s.
15. Fry them well on medium flame, time to time keep moving them with spoon so that they do not stick to bottom. cook them till they get little brown in color.
16. Fry all vada’s one by one in same manner and place them on tissue paper and keep them aside.
17. Now will make the red powder chutney.
18. Will use the left over gram flour / besan paste and fry them.
19. Fry them on medium flame, till it gets golden color.
20. Now in a mixer jar add the fried gram flour mixture, some garlic cloves, red chili powder , Ghati masala and salt as per taste.
21. Now grind them into fine powder.
22. Now assembling part 😉
23. Cut pav without breaking it into two parts, now spread some red chutney over the pav and place one vada into it.
24. The yummy vada pav is ready, serve them hot 🙂